Edible Edinburgh: Terms of Reference
- Mission statement The Edible Edinburgh partnership has an agreed vision, where Edinburgh is a city where good food is available and accessible for all, making for healthy people, thriving communities and a sustainable environment.All members support the overarching mission statement of the partnership and agree to work towards achieving that goal.
Members of the partnership will collectively agree the appointment of new members where there are gaps, or the partnership requires expertise in a particular area.
The number of members of the strategic leadership group of the partnership will be a minimum of 10 and not exceed 25.
- Role of the Strategic leadership group of the Partnership
The Purpose of the Strategic Leadership Group is to:
- Advise on and steer the strategic direction of the Edible Edinburgh Partnership.
- Oversee the development and delivery of the city-wide food strategy and plan.
- Represent the Edible Edinburgh Partnership.
- Drive forward the ambition for a sustainable food systems approach in Edinburgh.
The Functions of the Strategic Leadership Group are to:
- Oversee delivery and monitor progress of the partnership’s aims and objectives, as set out in its citywide food strategy and plan.
- Steer delivery and monitor progress of the partnership’s sub groups and their work plans towards achieving the aims and objectives of the partnership and the next level of SFC accreditation.
- Make connections and look for opportunities for collaboration between subgroups.
- Guide and support the Edible Edinburgh Coordinator, particularly in relation to strategic decisions.
- Set agendas for Edible Edinburgh Partnership meetings, including proposing speakers.
- Identify funding opportunities and support partnership funding applications.
- Recruit new members to the Edible Edinburgh Partnership and subgroups.
The Edible Edinburgh Partnership:
- Members of the Edible Edinburgh Partnership are drawn from organisations and community groups with an interest in sustainable food and food systems.
- There is no formal sign up process.
- The Strategic Leadership Group is made up of key stakeholders and delivery partners in the Edible Edinburgh Work Plan
- The Partnership has 3 sub-groups: Economy, Health, and Sustainability comprising a wider network of key stakeholders representing these sectors.
- Partnership members will dedicate time and resources to furthering the aims of Edible Edinburgh.
- A wider network of organisations and stakeholders contribute to the aims of the partnership.
Relationship between the Strategic Leadership Group and the wider Edible Edinburgh Partnership
- The Strategic Leadership Group works in collaboration with the Edible Edinburgh sub-groups and wider network
- The Strategic Leadership Group is not in ‘control’ of the Partnership but rather acts as an influencer and convenor.
- The Strategic Leadership Group steers the direction of the Edible Edinburgh Partnership and is the decision-making body.
The Strategic Leadership Group to be made up of:
- Chairs of subgroups (or a substitute if they are not able to make it).
- Overall Chair of Edible Edinburgh
- Up to 5 positions for other key stakeholders
- Partnership Coordinator
- Max no. on the Secretariat = 12.
- Although there is limited membership of the Strategic Leadership Group, it is important that the Group operates in an open way, and that it is accessible to members of the wider Partnership if issues need to be addressed
Expectations of Strategic Leadership Group Members
- Commit to attend Strategic Leadership Group and Partnership Meetings or send a substitute
- Strategic Leadership Group to meet every 2 months.
- Strategic Leadership Group to meet when required by Coordinator.
- To champion the cause of Edible Edinburgh
- To carry out the tasks assigned to them
- Commit to the strategic aims of Edible Edinburgh
- To act as a point of contact for the partnership and promote it whenever possible.
- To Chair meetings of both the Strategic Leadership Group and the Partnership, ensuring that members can contribute, decisions are reached, and meetings stick to their agenda and timescale.
- Ensure that the Strategic Leadership Group fulfils its functions and is well governed.
- Communicate with and secure buy in from strategic partners
Appointment of Chair
- Chair should be Elected by the Edible Edinburgh Partnership.
- This provides democratic accountability to residents, continuity and status to Edible Edinburgh.
Appointment of Partnership subgroup Chairs
- Chairs of the Subgroups are currently appointed by the Partnership.
- In future Subgroup Chairs to be elected by the Partnership.
- Meetings and Decision Making
Decisions for the Secretariat to make:
- Planning agenda items for the Partnership meetings.
- Possible ways forward, resources and members
Decisions for the Strategic Leadership Group to make:
- Strategic direction and planning, events
- Budget allocation, finances and resource
Decision Making at the Strategic Leadership Group and Edible Edinburgh Partnership
- By consensus if possible
- If necessary, by majority vote. 1 vote per organisation.
Decisions for the Co-ordinator and line manager to make:
- Daily decisions to progress projects
- Co-ordinator workplan, targets etc.
Decisions on Finance
- An annual sustainable food budget, managed by the Council, supports the work of the partnership, meeting the aims of Edinburgh’s Food Growing Strategy and Edible Edinburgh. Requests to this budget should be initiated at a discussion with the full Partnership.
- Decisions related to the administrative spend to be made by the Coordinator with the Chair